“It shows much talent to know how to use the talents of others”- Mother Mary Angeline Teresa O. Carm.
Volunteer opportunities exist in many facets of our ministry either in direct contact with the residents or in support areas. If you would like to volunteer, please contact our Volunteer Coordinator at (814) 695-5571.
Who Can Volunteer?
The volunteers of Garvey Manor are a very special group of people. Our Volunteers come from many different backgrounds and have various talents and interests to share with our residents and staff. Many of our volunteers are retirees, students, past or present family members, and previous staff members. Whatever your background, the common thread you have as a volunteer is your love for others and your need to give back to your community. While you will be giving of yourself, as a volunteer, you may be surprised by what you will receive. You will receive the sense of involvement and accomplishment that can only come from the service of helping others. The ministry at Garvey Manor is sure to fill your heart with Christ’s love and compassion for the elderly.
What Will I Do as a Volunteer?
Many people do not realize the gifts or skills they have to share with our residents. The most important gift you have to share is yourself. Just being present in someone’s life is appreciated.
Our experienced and professional Volunteer Coordinator will meet with you to explore your talents and desires for being a volunteer. Together you will develop your ministry of volunteering at Garvey Manor.
Some examples of interest may be...
• Accompanying residents to religious services
• Being a Eucharistic Minister
• Assisting with daily activity programs
• Taking residents outdoors for fresh air and sunshine
• Helping in the beauty shop, gift shop, or café
• Providing companionship and personal visits through reading to a resident, helping them with writing letters, filling out Christmas cards, or simply holding their hand
• Sharing your talents by singing or playing an instruments
• Support Garvey Manor staff by transporting residents to and from appointments or activities within the facility.
• Supporting office staff by filing, preparing for activities, etc.
• Many other various opportunities are available
The Rewards of Volunteering are Many…
No reward will be as great as knowing that you can help someone live with the quality of life and dignity that they deserve through Christ’s love and compassion.
• Any amount of your time you can give is valuable
• We offer flexible schedules for our volunteers
• We will be there with you to guide you through our volunteer application and training process
• You will develop relationships that will remain with you for the rest of your life
• You will wish you had made the decision to be a volunteer at Garvey Manor and Our Lady of the Alleghenies a long time ago
"There is no place better than Garvey."
- Dionis Family